Protection and liabilities
When you bank with BB&T, we work in partnership with you to protect your accounts and your information. Find out how we can help, and what actions you must take to protect yourself.
If you suspect you are a victim of identity theft, immediately contact your local BB&T branch or call 800-BANK-BBT (800-226-5228).
We place the utmost importance on your security, and we're committed to working with you to fight fraud. Our security experts and advanced technology help to safeguard your personal and financial information.
- Security updates – We provide timely information on illegal web activity, including identity theft, help for account fraud and tips to protect your privacy.
- Email security – We use Cisco Registered Envelope Service for email encryption, allowing us to send—and for you to respond to—any email correspondence securely.
U by BB&T—Personal online banking
- Timeout feature – Your online banking session automatically terminates after an extended period of inactivity.
- Firewalls – We use firewalls to provide an additional layer of security for your account and online information.
- Encryption – We secure your online banking session.
- Online banking message center – We provide a secure channel for you to communicate with our online banking customer service teams.
Small business online banking
We provide all the security available in online banking, plus additional security features to our business clients.
- Multiple user access – We help you eliminate the need to share passwords by providing customizable access for up to 25 users. You can determine viewing access and the ability to make transactions for each user.
- Phone verification – All ACH & Wire payments must be authorized by phone using a registered number.
- Authentication features – We use state-of-the-art technology to verify that only authorized users can access your business account.
Payments and transfers
- Secure transactions – Know your money is safe with our secure electronic delivery system.
- Payment control – You control who is paid and when they are paid.
- Peace of mind – Never worry about payment claims—we'll handle them.
- Accessibility – Quick and secure access to your accounts in online banking with U by BB&T® , small business online banking, Intuit® Quicken and QuickBooks.
- Online bill payment guarantee – We reimburse up to $50 in fees should late delivery occur. Disclosure 1
BB&T debit cards
- Proactive monitoring – We monitor your accounts for suspicious activity.
- BB&T Zero Liability – We may reimburse 100% of fraudulent transactions if your debit card or debit card number is lost or stolen. Disclosure 2
- Visa Checkout℠ – Enjoy additional protection when making online purchases by linking your card to Visa Checkout. Disclosure 3
- Disable debit card – If your card is lost or stolen, you can log in to BB&T online banking to immediately disable your debit card to prevent purchases.
- Lost or stolen assistance – If your debit card is lost or stolen, call BB&T at 800-226-5228 to block your card and order a new one.
- Chip-enabled cards – BB&T Debit Cards include chip card technology. Purchases made at chip-enabled terminals receive enhanced fraud protection.
- Provisional credit – Individual consumer clients will receive provisional credit to their checking account within 5 business days of making a claim for fraudulent activity. Disclosure 4
- Conditional credit – Business clients will receive conditional credit within 5 business days of making a claim. Conditional credit is temporary and it applies until your inquiry is resolved. Depending on the outcome of the inquiry, the conditional credit to your checking account will either become permanent or be removed. Disclosure 4
BB&T credit cards
- Visa® Zero Liability – You are protected if your card is lost, stolen or fraudulently used. Disclosure 5
- Visa Checkout – Enjoy additional protection when making online purchases by linking your card to Visa Checkout. Disclosure 3
- Online fraud monitoring – We add an extra layer of security by validating your identity during online payment transactions at participating merchants.
- Proactive monitoring – We monitor your credit card account for suspicious activity.
- Lost or stolen assistance – If your credit card is lost or stolen, call BB&T at 800-476-4228 to block your card and order a new one.
- Chip-enabled cards – BB&T credit cards include chip card technology. Purchases made at chip-enabled terminals receive enhanced fraud protection.
Visa gift card
- Lost or stolen assistance – Call us at 866-594-2076 immediately if you believe your card or PIN has been lost or stolen.
BB&T will reimburse you up to $50 for late payment fees or penalties incurred from a payment made after the delivery date with this service. For more information, see the Online Bill Payment Guarantee.
Certain restrictions may apply. See complete details in the BB&T Bank Services Agreement, Section L: Electronic Fund Transfer Agreement and Disclosures and the Business Debit Card Agreement for details.
Visa Checkout is a service of Visa, Inc. Terms and conditions may apply.
See our Bank Services Agreement (PDF) for more information.
The Visa® Zero Liability Policy(opens in a new tab) covers US issued cards and does not apply to certain commercial card transactions or any transactions not processed by Visa. You must notify BB&T immediately of any unauthorized use. For specific restrictions, limitations and other details, please consult your cardholder agreement.
Loans, lines of credit and credit cards are subject to credit approval.
Branch Banking and Trust Company, Member FDIC.